Saw this over at Phoenix Rising. I’m almost certain in an hour I’ll have different answers for every single question.
1. A favorite political track.
Anything from It Takes A Nation of Millions To Hold Us Back.
2. One of those tracks that make you dance on the dance floor no matter what.
DJ Jubilee – “Get It Ready Ready”
What y’all know about bounce music?
3. The song you’d use to tell someone you love them.
D’Angelo – “When We Get By”
Stevie Wonder – “You and I”
4. A song that has made you sit down and analyze its lyrics.
Notorious B.I.G. – “Suicidal Thoughts”
Prince – “Billy Jack Bitch”
Erykah Badu – “Green Eyes”
Amel Larrieux – “Make Me Whole”
A Tribe Called Quest – “Sucka Nigga”
Donny Hathaway – “You Were Meant For Me”
Michael Jackson – “Lady In My Life”
5. A song that you like, that a two year old would like as well.
Beyonce – “Check On It”
6. A song that gives you an energy boost.
Three Six Mafia – “Stay Fly”
D4L – “Laffy Taffy”
Soulja Slim – “Jiggalators”
Lil KeKe – “Pimp The Pen”
Bouncy – “Crazy In Love” (One of the few go-go influenced songs I can take)
Lil Boosie – “The Ratchet”
7. A song that you and your grandparents (would probably) like.
Aretha Franklin – “Call Me”
Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes – “I’m Weak For You”
8. A song that you really liked when you were 14-16, and still really like now.
Jennifer Lopez f/ Ja Rule (w/
They played that song at the Diner the other nite. We all sang along.
9. A sad song that would be in the soundtrack of the movie about your life.
Mary J. Blige – “My Life”
10. A peppy song that would start the opening credits of the movie about your life.
Michael Jackson – “Off The Wall”
Now if we’re really talking about peppy, something ign’t and southern that would get folks up out of their seats.
11. A good song from a genre of music that no one would guess that you liked.
Fiona Apple – “Across The Universe”
I’m not a big Beatles fan, but I love Fiona Apple and this is one of the best remakes ever.
12. A song that you think should have been playing when you were born.
Prince – “Baby I’m A Star”
How cocky. Almost a cliché, isn’t it?
13. A favorite artist duo collaboration.
Lauryn Hill & D’Angelo – “Nothing Even Matters”
Lauryn Hill & Mary J. Blige – “I Used To Love Him”
Mary J. Blige & K-Ci Hailey – “I Don’t Want To Do Anything Else”
Faith Evans & Mary J. Blige – “Love Don’t Live Here Anymore”
Method Man f/ Mary J. Blige – “You’re All I Need”
14. A favorite song that you completely disagree with (politically, morally, commonsensically, religiously etc.)
Ying Yang Twins – “The Whisper Song”
Misogyny at its finest. Damn that beat.
15. The song that you like despite the fact your IQ level drops several points every time you listen to it.
Most southern uptempo joints; old No Limit songs; most Cash Money hits.
There are so many, but hmm, I’d say I love listening to Janet Jackson’s “Twenty Foreplay.”
Marvin Gaye’s entire I Want You album always does the trick .
Mind yours, freak.
17. A song you would send to someone you hate or are mad at.
Probably something from Marques Houston. That’s torture.
18. A favorite track from an outfit considered a “super-group.”
You got me there.
19. A song that makes you reminisce about good times with a family member.
I guess something from Mary or Jodeci. My sister loved them both.
20. Your favorite song at this moment in time.
“So Amazing” – But only if my friend is singing it.
Elle B. – “Despite What They Say” (Hey there, friend)
Mary J. Blige – “You Bring Me Joy”
Yummy Bingham – “Sick Wit It”