Not My Daddy

As I come up for air I bear good news: I’ve found an R&B song to write about without complaining. Of course, such a task isn’t as difficult for me to do as some of you might believe. However, with all of the bullshit covers, oversexualized drivel, and confusing R&B singers out there it’s hard to not call out awful once you hear it.

You know, given this blog is called “The Cynical Ones” and not the “I’m gonna pretend this bullshit is good when it damn sure isn’t one.”

But this time, I just want to focus on someone who recorded a song that didn’t make me want to lead a séance to find Ursula and ask for a favor.

Let’s give it up for Kelly Price, y’all.

Now she isn’t the only person out there churning out good product. I have ample amounts of praise to share for Frank Ocean and Britney Spears, but Kelly Price is the one I’d like to cover here. She’s one of the few R&B singers out there who actually makes music that sounds like R&B. God bless her for it.

“Not My Daddy” makes me want to two-step, slow wind to the ground, wave one hand in the air, and make stank voices while I sing-a-long all at the same time. Hell, this song makes me want to get mad at my nonexistent man.

Clearly, I’m a fan. In fact, I enjoy this song so much that it’s inspired me to come up with a new rating system.

I am officially basing my feelings on a given ballad or midtempo based on how close it gets to me this expression.

On a scale from 1-5, “Not My Daddy” gets a:

Don’t worry, I’ll find an image to rate hood anthems, jigs, and songs that make me wanna spin like it’s 1973 and my name is Carol.

Before you contrarians for sport come a commenting, no, “Not My Daddy” is not groundbreaking. But, but, but: It doesn’t need to be. It sounds good, and with a bunch of strep throat goat sounding sum’bitches irritating the hell out of me with their Euro-pop bullshit on radio stations that’s supposed to be playing The Isley Brothers, that’s really all I need right now.

Kelly sounds absolutely beautiful and reminds me of why I fell in love with her voice. For the record, I fell in love when I realized it was her doing background on Mariah Carey’s “The Roof.” I play that song like it came out a week ago. You should, too.

Anyway, I’m a lil’ salty that this song has been out since January and none of you told me about it. Don’t worry, I forgive each and every one of you for it. Don’t let it happen again, though.

Comments

1. sarahsosincere says:

Yay for Stokley! Super underrated vocalist. Glad to hear Kelly Price back, as well.

2. CUTIEC says:

WOW the first chords came on and i was doing the same as the pic head was down eyes were closed !!! Thats a jam !!!!! Thanks for bringing to my attention !

3. Wade says:

I love me some KP!! if you liked this then definitely check out her other new song “Tired” – whoooooooo! If you love a hollering chick, than you’ll love that song. :-)

I’m tired of being wronged and doing right,
    Said I’m tired of keeping peace in time to fight.
    I’m tired of letting go, then holding on,
    I’m tired of feeling weak and being strong….

Saaaaang Kelly! lol

4. Tamara says:

I discovered this song about a month ago and was too busy two stepping by myself to let folks know about it. I make the same “jig face” anytime I listen to this song.

5. TJ says:

Dude…I love reading your post! You make me laugh, think, and want to share ALL the time. I come away informed (sometimes confused) but always happy I checked in witcha! Keep it coming.

6. Julien says:

I love this song. It’s good to see that singers still exist in this industry.

7. TiaB says:

I needed this today…rough day at the office, until now. I really like this song and love Stokely. Thanks, Mike!

8. Michael says:

TJ, thank you so much for that. That is exactly how I described the feelings I hope people get from what I’m working on — and my writing in general. TIAB, you are most welcome. Feel better!

9. MzKoko says:

I LOVE ‘The Roof’, it’s my favorite song off of that album ^_^

p.s. I just found your blog & I’m in love *swoons*. You now have an honorary spot on my Bookmarks Bar, & this little gem will now become a part of my daily routine (be proud, only special blogger get this privilege)

p.p.s. Since we can’t be lovers (female), can we at least be friends (in my head)? <3