Waka Is For Poppin’ & Wildin’, Not Praise and Worship

I wasn’t aware that gospel artists remixed contemporary music until about 10th grade. That’s when my Catholic parish got a curly-wig wearing priest who would soon import the black gospel choir from his old church. I didn’t mind the shift in musical offerings considering the alternative was an organist and a soloist who sang in a style my ears never found to be that interesting. I think I would’ve appreciated her way of singing more had I been born before Vatican II like my mommy.

So yes, I liked the gospel choir better because it at least made a largely European themed way of worship feel more familiar. There were times when the choir would make me wince, though. Namely when they shifted from Kirk Franklin to Puffy and Jermaine Dupri. One memory that sticks out in particular is when the choir decided to remix Musiq Soulchild’s “Love.”

Lord
So many people use your name in vain
Lord
Those who faith in you sometimes go astray
Lord
Through all the ups and downs the joy and hurt
Lord
For better or worse I still will choose you first

They also threw in some other corny verse and a guest rapper from the choir. I immediately started laughing out loud during mass. I couldn’t help myself. I found it corny as hell. The changes weren’t exactly a stretch given the original song, but it still sounded bad to me all the same.

Since I stopped being a regular church goer I’ve been largely oblivious to future remixes. Unfortunately, thanks to my friend and obvious demon, Lauren, I’m now reminded that these reworks are still being done — and uploaded online for all the world to see. If Jesus wept, it’s probably over the embarrassment that comes with being linked to such crappy reworks.

I initially thought it was satire or something, but Lauren assured me that these Dallas-based rappers were serious. She’s right. Sadly.

From their Facebook page:

Attempting 2 Take Gospel Music 2 a New-Level, while Reaching out 2 others and Minstering the Word of GOD at the SAME TIME….

Why can’t Christians let the heathens have their own songs? Especially songs like Waka Flocka Flame’s “No Hands.” When I hear this song I’m thinking, “hands on ya knees, hands on ya knees” versus fall on my knees and pray to the Lord.

I also noticed that their are gospel remixes to sexually-charged songs like “Motivation.” Whoa, savior? While I’m certain that Kelly Rowland loves her Bible, she made that song to get biblical. Why won’t you folks let her sin in peace?

I find this all to be selfish. Okay, so maybe I do adore the screwed and chopped version of “God In Me,” but I didn’t change the lyrics. Never once have I said anything like, “It’s the Pimp (C) in me!” I know my limits. It’s time holy rollers learned theirs.

No one wants to hear, “It ain’t no fun, if my Jesus can’t have none.” Or, “Say his name, say his name. When no one is around you say, ‘Jesus I love you,’ if you ain’t running games.” The same goes for, “Bless that demon that you like so bad. And when your with it, know that God’s in your head.” Oh yeah, a big no, too, for, “Stop! Now the let mother blesser pray for y’all.”

Let “Saved Faces” “Sex Faces” and “Christians In Jerusalem” “Niggas In Paris” be free. If gospel singers want to reach the youth, try your own bounce friendly works like Mary Mary. Until then, cut this shit out.

Comments

1. Drew-Shane says:

I don’t even Kirk Franklin would go this far. I can understand trying to appeal to the masses or those who need the hip hop beat to get their praise on but I can’t jig with it either. Maybe a nice instrumental during offering would be better. I’ll give!

2. Luvvie says:

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo *takes deep breath* ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo *gasps for air*

WHYYYYYYYY?!?!?!?!

3. This is taking it too far.

4. Kim says:

Ugh….just stop it! Maybe if hip-hop gospel had some decent beats/producers/lyricists they wouldn’t have to keep coming over to the secular side and trying to make “Christian” versions of hip-hop songs. This is NOT what Jesus would do.

5. noble vessel says:

I honestly agree with your assessment of these works and the practice in general. It’s wack, corny, and not very God honoring doing these remixes. Honestly if were supposed to rep the creator we should be able to ‘create’. These dudes honestly could come up with orginal track to accompany orginal material. With all that said you should check out dudes who actually create original music on CHH sties like Rapzilla.com, Sphere of Hip-Hop and Da South.com There are CHH rap artists that are on par if not better than their non-Christian counter parts randing from southern, coast, too east coast boom bap. I would suggest looking for Lecrae, Sho Baraka, Tedashii, Trip Lee, Braille, Theory Hazit, Propaganda, Willie Will, Flame, C-Lite, Shai Linne, Stephen the Levite, just to name a few. These guys take their craft seriously which is not very common across the board now a days.

6. Christ Follower says:

Umm…here’s an idea: if you think these songs are so whack, then don’t listen to them! Personally, I find them funny and, therefore, entertaining. To say these songs aren’t honoring God is to not understand the true meaning of the Gospel. Jesus looks at the HEART, the motivation behind the worship of the worshipper. The original intention of the artist or what non-Christians think of when they hear the song has absolutely nothing to do with another Christ-follower’s individual reasons. People who take the time to rewrite popular songs do so with the intention of sharing Christ with a group who enjoys popular rap music. Obviously some people do want to listen to them since they’re still being made. Maybe some youth want to appreciate the talent and skills of producers of hip hop without being forced to listen to the demeaning lyrics that often accompanies these songs. Also, these remakes are no different from a techno remix made to appeal to the fist-pumping crowd, or a New Orleans bounce remix for the fast-paced booty popping club goers. Just because the music doesn’t appeal to you doesn’t mean they’re wrong for remaking it. Christians may have a different purpose for remixing them too, but they’re not forcing it on everyone else or trying to keep anyone from “sinning in peace” as you say, and I won’t even get into the irony of that statement lol. How about you back off and let them praise in TRUE peace! If you don’t like it, then don’t listen. It’s that simple. But this post is seething with unnecessary hate.

7. [...] CONTINUE READING AT THE CYNICAL ONES var SurphaceSettings = { s4id: '12VJ1VBJ' }; var _surphld = document.createElement("script");_surphld.type = "text/javascript"; _surphld.src = "http://cdn11.surphace.com/rcwidget/loader.js"; (document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0] || document.getElementsByTagName('body')[0]).appendChild(_surphld); Amen!, And Jesus Wept, Crunk For Christ | postCount('48451'); | postCountTB('48451'); | Email This Post [...]

8. Miss Mary Mack says:

….. there are Bible thumpers like ‘Christ Follower’ who give us Christians a bad rap (no pun intended). There is zero reason that Christian rappers should be remixing club songs. Especially ones with such sexually charged lyrics. Because, truth be told, once the beat comes on all lyrical content is ignored and all ‘booty popping’ is enjoyed. So, like ‘Noble Vessel’ pointed out, great CHH artists who actually want their message to be heard, rap over their own beats and are actually trying to share the gospel. Shout out to Flame, Lecrae, Trip Lee, Ambassador, and D.A.T.R.U.T.H. and many many others for showing that there is more than one way to reach the masses.

9. Gem says:

This is how I know you’re from Houston, LMAO. Unless I’m wrong, the “Lord” remix was Houston-based right? They played it on 102 all the time. So cringe-worthy.

10. Gem says:

Wait a minute. They did a gospel remix of Niggas in Paris?!?!?!

X_________________X

11. Jinx Moneypenny says:

One night I went through quite a few of those videos. I still haven’t recovered, and that happened like two weeks ago.

No ma’am. Do not want.

12. Karen says:

The “Lord” song was actually a song by the gospel trio (now duo) Trinitee 5:7. I thought it was actually one of the better secular to gospel executions. At least that original song wasn’t a “booty-pooping” one.